Peter Thill joined Betty, Neuman & McMahon, P.L.C. in 1996 as an associate attorney. Prior to joining the firm, Pete clerked for one year for the Chief Justice of the Iowa Supreme Court Arthur McGiverin from 1995-1996 following law school. His practice includes representation of employers and insurance carriers in the areas of workers’ compensation defense in Iowa and Illinois jurisdictions.
Pete is originally from Oswego, Illinois. He graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University with a focus on Business, during which time he took part in legal internships with a criminal court judge and family practice lawyer. After college Pete went to work in sales with Barefoot Grass Lawn Service in Peoria, Illinois. Thereafter, Pete moved to Des Moines and attended Drake University Law School where he wrote for the Drake Law Review and participated in multiple Moot Court teams. As a finalist in one competition, Pete had the honor of arguing a case before the en banc Iowa Supreme Court as a law student.
Since working at Betty, Neuman & McMahon, P.L.C., Pete has successfully represented clients in trials and administrative hearings ranging from motor vehicle accidents, slip and falls, and workers’ compensation claims in Iowa and Illinois. Additionally, Pete has successfully briefed and argued dispositive motions and appeals to various Iowa District Courts, the Iowa Court of Appeals and the Iowa Supreme Court.
Pete has served on Scott County Bar Association executive counsel and is currently the president of the Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Attorneys and member of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers. Pete also serves as a GAP mentor for elementary students in the Davenport Community School District. In addition to his community involvement, Pete regularly participates in the continuing legal education process by working on seminar committees and presenting at various insurance/litigation seminars on various workers’ compensation topics.
Pete lives in Davenport, Iowa with his wife, Kristy, and four active children.
Areas of Practice
- Workers' Compensation
- Civil Litigation
- Iowa, 1995
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- J.D. - 1995
- Honors: Order of the Barristers
- Honors: National Moot Court Team, 1994-1995
- Honors: Insurance Law Moot Court Team, 1993-1994
- Illinois Wesleyan University
- B.A. - 1991
Honors and Awards
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
- Author of “Insurers’ and Courts’ Response to High Dose Chemotherapy with Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant in the Treatment of Breast Cancer: A Tragedy or Necessity?” (1995)
- Speaker, Iowa Association of Workers Compensation Annual Seminar, New Legislative Changes in the Workers’ Compensation Act
- Speaker, PRIMA Conference on Effective Claims Management
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Past President of the Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
- Executive Counsel, Scott County
- Law Clerk to Chief Justice Arthur McGiverin, Iowa Supreme Court (1995 -1995)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Insurance Law Moot Court Team (1993-1994)
- Member, Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
- Member, Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Member, National Moot Court Team (1994-1995)
- Member, Order of Barristers