Mark is from rural Ottumwa, Iowa where he lived and worked on the family dairy farm. After graduating from Iowa State University he entered Drake Law School. While in law school he was the research assistant for Professor Keith C. Miller. He also was the law clerk for Robert C. Landess, then the Iowa Workers’ Compensation Commissioner.
Mark joined Betty, Neuman, and McMahon in 1986. His practice has seen him try civil cases in Iowa and Illinois state and federal courts in areas of negligence, employment, and products liability. He has appeared before both the Seventh and Eighth Circuit Federal Courts of Appeal. His practice now focuses primarily in labor and workers’ compensation defense in Iowa and Illinois. He has spoken numerous times over the years to various organizations and businesses on different areas of the law.
He, along with Martha Shaff, are the senior litigation partners of the firm.
His interests outside of work are motorcycling, camping and animal rescue.
He has two adult sons and resides in LeClaire, Iowa with his wife, Raquel, and their two rescued Mastiffs, Gunda and Alvin.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Workers' Compensation
- Employment Law
- Products Liability
- Iowa, 1986
- Illinois, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1986
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 1986
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1987
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1986
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- J.D. - 1986
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- B.A. - 1982
- Co-Author, Iowa Claim Handling Guidelines,Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, June 2013
- Co-Author, Iowa Workers' Compensation Claims Handling Guidelines, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, January 2014
- Presenter at SES Workers' Compensation Law and Practice, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, July 2015
- Speaker at Illinois Industrial Commission Arbitrator and Commissioner Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Chicago, April 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- Iowa Association of Workers Compensation Lawyers, Member
- Iowa Defense Counsel, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Scott County Bar Association, Member
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Association, LTD