Amanda Richards has practiced in the area of civil litigation since 2003. Originally from Princeton, Illinois, she attended Illinois College and Drake University Law School where she graduated with honors. While attending law school, Amanda worked in the legal department of an insurance company learning all aspects of insurance defense. It was through this experience that Amanda discovered her passion for defense litigation and her drive to be a strong voice for her clients during the litigation process.
Amanda practices in all areas of civil litigation, specializing in personal injury, premises liability, dram shop, labor/employment law, insurance coverage, declaratory actions, and unemployment matters.
Amanda is an avid writer and specializes in all stages of motion and appellate practice from administrative appeals, unemployment appeals, and litigation appeals to the state and federal appellate courts. She has argued in front of the Iowa and Illinois Appellate courts. She often teaches and presents at seminars and conferences sharing cutting edge techniques in discovery, trial tactics, and employment law matters.
Outside the courtroom Amanda resides in Bettendorf with her husband, Todd, and her three children, Jocelyn, Hayden, and Landon. She is active in her community blogging and speaking about issues that face working mothers in today’s society.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Dram Shop Claims
- Employment Litigation
- Unemployment Litigation & Appeals
- Employment Discrimination Defense
- Personal Injury Defense
- Workers Compensation Defense
- Insurance Coverage
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- J.D. - 2003
- Honors: With Honors
- Illinois College
- B.A. - 2000
- Honors: summa cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Speaker, Iowa Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, “Turning off Auto Pilot: Fresh Ideas in Defending Common Personal Injury Cases”
- Speaker, Iowa Defense Counsel Spring Meeting, “A Whole New Courtroom: Updating Trial Tactics in Today’s Society”
- Speaker, Rock Island County Bar Association Fall Seminar, “Legal Tortoise and Hare: A comparison of Iowa and Illinois Discovery Rules”
- Panel Member, Scott County Bar Association Last Chance Seminar, “E-Discovery Panel Discussion
- Speaker , Rock Island County Bar Association Fall Seminar, “The Art of Objections”
- Instructor, NBI Seminars, Advanced Employment Law Seminar.
- Instructor, Iowa Defense Counsel Deposition Bootcamp
- Speaker, PRIMA Conference on Tips for Effective Claims Management
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association, Member, 2010 to 2012
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association, Former Board Member, 2011
- Iowa Defense Counsel Membership Committee, Member
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- Scott County Bar Association, Member
- Young Lawyers Division of the Iowa Defense Counsel Member, Former Co-Chair